Reflections from Romania

We hope to use this blog to keep you informed with what is happening with our ministry in Romania.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

License Quest Update VI

Okay, I (Nancy) still don't have my Hungarian driver's license yet. But I'm making progress. Today I passed my first aid test. Hungarian law states that all drivers must stop and give first aid when they come across an accident. So, in order to get a license, all prospective drivers must prove that they know first aid. I took a first aid course (only offered in Hungarian) the first part of March and (slowly) studied the instruction booklet (also in Hungarian). Then today with the help of my translator friend Eva, I took and passed the exam. Praise the Lord!
I have only one more test to pass--the behind-the-wheel test. Last Saturday I had my first lesson with the driving instructor in the training car. Before we started, I learned that the instructor is a neighbor of our missionary friends Mary Jill and Edith! But, Jozsef speaks only Hungarian. He said that was okay since I only needed to know simple things like "right" and "left." The practice was a little nerve-racking, though, since my brain not only had to understand the instructor's commands but also had to tell my body quickly what to do while reminding me to break bad habits like keeping my hand on the gearshift while I'm making a turn! Whew! I have a couple more practice sessions before my test next week.
I remembered this morning a prayer I had prayed earlier this year. I had asked the Lord to "hyperspace" our language-learning. I was getting frustrated that our language skills seemed to be coming so slowly and pictured that scene from Star Wars where the Millenial Falcon jumped from one place to another using hyperspace. Well, I believe my experience with all my lessons and studying for my driver's exams have pushed my Hungarian studies into hyperspace. I thank the Lord for all the practice and all the new things I've learned, but next time I'll be a little more careful what I ask for. God does answer our prayers!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home