Reflections from Romania

We hope to use this blog to keep you informed with what is happening with our ministry in Romania.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

License Quest Update II

Progress toward getting my Hungarian driver's license has been made since my last update almost two weeks ago. But first I (Nancy) need to clarify that I can drive now in Hungary with my international driver's license since it is still valid for a while. I need to get my Hungarian license, however, before the international one expires.

Well, I was able to complete the first aid course successfully, including giving artificial respiration to the first aid dummy. I have not been able to take the Red Cross test yet because I have not found a translator to go with me. More on that later.

Last week the driving school's secretary called and asked me to come to the office. When I got there, she had an English translation of the traffic laws book for me! I was so excited to be able to buy it. It's in British English, so some of the terms are different and the translation is a bit rough, but it's much more understandable than the Hungarian book. While I was in the office, they asked me if I had been able to get the doctor's exam that is needed for the license. Well, no, I told them. I had asked my neighbor about it and she had called her doctor. The doctor didn't think she could help me since I am a foreigner. Well, the driving school's secretary called another doctor and was able to set up an appointment for me. Then the driving school owner asked me if I could bring someone with me who speaks English so I could practice taking the driving laws test on their computer.

On Monday of this week, I called Zoli Acs who has been so helpful to us in the past. Zoli is an INSTE student who attends the Shalom Open Bible Church here. At the driving school, Zoli helped clarify some things about the application process for me. Then the driving school owner asked if we could go see the doctor right then, even though my appointment was not until the next day. He thought it would be better to have an interpreter with me. We both agreed and he drove us to the doctor's office. Zoli helped me fill out the forms and after a short wait, I got to see the doctor. The exam went smoothly and I got the paper I needed for my driver's license.

Back at the driving school, Zoli helped me go through the practice exam on the computer. The results showed that I need to study more and take the practice test a few more times. I was told that I need an official translator to help me take the official written test and that the driver's school can arrange for one for me when I'm ready. Since the vocabularies of the written driving test and of the first aid test are specialized, I will ask the official translator to help me take the first aid test also.

Praise the Lord for the progress made toward my driver's license. I think I need to go study some more!

1 Comments:

  • At March 19, 2009 at 3:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Congrats on your progress! You've gotten farther than anyone I've known. I guess I should REALLY thank the Lord for my (free) HU license! Amazing, really.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home