Reflections from Romania

We hope to use this blog to keep you informed with what is happening with our ministry in Romania.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

License Quest

Here is my (Nancy's) quest for a driver's license. It's not over yet, but I thought I'd let you know how a foreigner tries to get a Hungarian driver's license when her Hungarian language skills are sorely lacking. By the way, only one of the people I talked with below spoke any English, and that lady only spoke a little. This is how I have stumbled through so far with the Lord's help.

My first step was about three weeks ago. I went to city hall with the papers I thought I would need. First, I had to find out where to go. A kind receptionist man pointed me in the right direction. There I found a little machine where you push the button for the kind of license you want and the machine sets up an appointment for you. Another kind man helped me there, and I got an appointment for the next day.
The next day, I arrived early, again with all my papers. The lady at the window looked at my papers and said the translation of my American license from English to Hungarian was not an official one. I asked where to go and she told me the name of the street. So, I walked up and down that street looking for the office of the official translator, in the snow, to no avail. I gave up and went home.
After trying to find the translator two more times, Mike and I found them and ordered translations of both of our licenses. After several days, our translations were ready, so we took them back to city hall and got another appointment. The next day, a kind lady at the window helped us fill out the form and took all my papers. She looked at Mike's papers and said he couldn't get a license until he had a permanent license from the US, not the temporary one he received after his wallet was stolen. Oh well. But, she told me to pay the cost at another window. I did that and went back to the window. The kind lady said I had paid the fee, but hadn't bought the official stamps she had told me to buy. I went to buy the official stamps and came back. The kind lady took some copies of my documents and told me to come back on Tuesday of this week.
I went back to the city hall all excited that I might actually be getting my license. Instead, the kind lady handed me what looked like a proclamation by a judge or something and told me where to go next.
So, I searched and found the national driver's license office, but it was closed due to computer problems.
Today(Thursday), I went back to the national office, showed them my papers and asked them how to get my license. After a little discussion among themselves, the two clerks and a man who appeared to be their supervisor told me that I needed to go to a certain driver's school. I would not have to take classes, but I would have to take a written test and a driving test. The clerk phoned the driver's school to tell them I was coming. I didn't understand where the school was, so the next lady in line kindly took me out of the complex and pointed to the school across the street.
I walked across the street and opened the door to an office. It was dark and appeared to be empty. As I turned to leave and try another door, an older gentlemen appeared and motioned for me to come in, saying he was expecting me. He helped me fill in another form and told me that his colleague who spoke English was out for the day, but would be back early next week. He will help me take the written test. After I pass that, I will need to take the driving test. Before they can send me on though, I will also need a physical exam stating that I am fit to drive.
Okay, so now I know what the next steps are. I just need to study the driving manual I bought, practice driving, and find out how to get a physical! The quest continues!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home