Reflections from Romania

We hope to use this blog to keep you informed with what is happening with our ministry in Romania.

Friday, March 27, 2009

License Quest Update III

My (Nancy's) quest for a Hungarian license continued this week. I've been faithfully studying the traffic laws books and going to the driving school to practice for the exam on the computer. By Tuesday I was entirely frustrated and discouraged. I kept missing too many questions on the practice test, many of them because I could not understand the questions or answers. I decided to check out other options. First I tried emailing the American Embassy in Budapest to ask them if there was an agreement between Hungary and the US that would make it easier to get a driver's license. When I didn't hear from them, I called an English-speaking lawyer that missionary friends of ours had used to get their licenses. He said that with his help, I would have my license soon. He said I would only have to take one test, and that he would help me take that test! The downside was that it would cost quite a bit. I was at the point where I decided it might be worth the price, so I went to the driving school to ask for my doctor's certificate back so that I could give it to the lawyer. The owner seemed to be very concerned that I might be making a mistake. There happened to be a student there who spoke a little English and through him, the owner said he thought that what the lawyer was suggesting was illegal! He also said that I was so close to being ready to take the test that he recommended I stay with them. So I left without the paper for the lawyer, went home, and called a friend who is an excellent translator and who knows the traffic rules vocabulary. Eva is a very busy lady, but she agreed to go with me to the driving school and translate the practice tests for me this coming Monday. Soon after I got off the phone with Eva, we got a reply from the American Embassy. From what they said, it is possible to receive a Hungarian license in exchange for a valid American license without taking tests. But, the local driver's license office can require tests to be taken. So it's not illegal to get a driver's license without taking tests, but in my case, the local office said I needed the tests! Oh well!
This weekend I am studying the traffic laws books again. Please pray for me. God has helped me thus far and I believe that with His help, I will soon have my Hungarian license in my hand!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home