Reflections from Romania

We hope to use this blog to keep you informed with what is happening with our ministry in Romania.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Getting Used to a Place or Loving It?

This afternoon I (Nancy) was talking with one of my conversation partners.  Conversation partners are native speakers of a language you are trying to learn who take the time and patience to talk with you and listen to you stumble around trying to talk back to them.  Well, that's kind of how it works for me.  But talking for half an hour or so in Hungarian is very good Hungarian practice, and I really appreciate those who help me learn their language.

Anyway, I was talking with Annamaria, and she told me that she may not be able to continue helping me since she is moving to a small village and will be too far away to visit with me regularly.  She sighed and told how she would miss Debrecen, the city she grew up in.  She would miss the people, the hustle and bustle, the many activities and amenities of the city.  She was dreading moving to the village with its slower lifestyle, quiet streets and traditions.  In my hesitant Hungarian, I tried to encourage her that she would get used to village life, that it would only take some time.  She said, "It's like you moving here to Hungary.  I'm sure you really miss America, don't you?"  I told her yes, sometimes I do, but I have learned to like it here, too.

I wish I could have expressed myself more clearly in Hungarian.  If I could have, I would have told Annamaria that I not only like Hungary, I love it.  Hungary has become my second home.  I have not only gotten used to living here, I love living here.  Not that I don't love America any more.  I love both countries and am happy living in either.  However, I miss whichever one I am not in at the present time!

It is more than just getting used to a place or learning to love a country, though.  I know God has called me here.  And when God calls us, he gives us everything we need to complete that call including a love for the place and the people he sends us to.  I am ever so thankful to God for giving me everything I need including contentment with where he has placed me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home