Reflections from Romania

We hope to use this blog to keep you informed with what is happening with our ministry in Romania.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Ukrainian Trip - part 3

If you have been following our blog you will know from Nancy's last two entries that I had my wallet stolen while we were on the subway in Kiev (The picture is the metro/subway station in Kiev).

This was something that you hear stories of happening to other people, but never imagine that it could happen to you: a VERY crowded subway; people pushing and shoving with barely enough room to stand; getting that sense that, even though I put my wallet in my front pocket, I should check it just to make sure; and realizing that it is too late. The wallet is gone and I didn't feel a thing. From that moment on I went through a wide range of emotions. At first, all I felt was shock and panic. Later I felt everything from anger that someone would do something like this; frustration and disappointment that I could allow something like this to happen; to helplessness and despair.

As we went through the rest of the day touring the city I would joke about the incident and Tammy even commented on how calm I appeared. But, the truth be told, if I didn't do this I probably would have just cried. I was even rehearsing in my mind, "If I had only kept my hand on my wallet!" "If I would have just felt even the slightest tug, I would have broken his fingers, pounded his face in, and turned him in to the police!" (This was my anger stage) "If only..." "If only..." "If only..."

Later that night as I was reading my Bible and praying I felt the Lord say to me, "Mike, you have talked about the things you would have liked to have done. Now, here is what I would like for you to do. I want you to forgive them (I know there was more than one person involved) and pray for them." Then God began reminding me of verses like Matt. 5:44 "But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..."; Luke 6:27-28 "Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you."; and Romans 12:14, 21 "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse... do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

So, that evening I began to pray for them and I soon realized that God asked me to do this not just for their benefit but for mine. God can change them as I pray for them but, even if nothing in their lives ever changes, my praying for them will change me. I need to forgive them and pray for them so that I don't become fearful, angry or bitter. I must not let my heart become hardened because of hurt, but continuously allow the Holy Spirit to work in me so that I will always respond to people with compassion even when they do bad things to me. It is also teaching me that there are some things beyond my control and I can't fix everything. Instead, I need to learn how to release those things to God and let Him work them out as He sees best. So, that is what I have been doing.

I also ask that you join me in praying for those individuals who were involved in this theft.

Lord, I pray for each person who took part in stealing my wallet in Kiev. By Your grace and the power of Your Holy Spirit, I forgive them for what they have done. I ask that the Spirit of God would bring to their hearts and minds a revelation of Your love for them. Remove the veil from their eyes and show them the way to knowing You. Minister to their every need and bless them with Your Presence. And, Lord, may this incident bring glory to Your Name. I place it in Your hands.

In Jesus' Name. Amen.

1 Comments:

  • At May 28, 2008 at 3:56 PM , Blogger Mark Culham said...

    Hey guys, just a note to let you know I enjoy reading your blog and keeping up with the goings-on in Hungary!

    Love you both and pray for you daily!

    Every blessings, Mark

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home