Reflections from Romania

We hope to use this blog to keep you informed with what is happening with our ministry in Romania.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

We have merely done what we ought to do



Here are a few thoughts from Nancy's spiritual journal:

Luke 17:10 in the Amplified Version says, "So you too, when you have done everything that was assigned and commanded you, say, ‘We are unworthy servants [undeserving of praise or a reward, for we have not gone beyond our obligation]; we have merely done what we ought to do.’”

Jesus said that those who serve him are like slaves who serve their master.  They don’t get a special reward, recognition or praise for only doing what they are commanded to do, they just do it.  When we obey God’s commands or do what he has told us to do, we are simply doing our duty.  It’s like when a nurse, doctor or emergency worker saves someone’s life in the course of their work, they can say, “It’s just my job. That’s what I’m paid to do.”

I am embarrassed when someone calls me a hero because I’m a missionary.  I’m not a hero, I am merely doing my duty.  I have not gone beyond what the Master told me to do.  It’s just my job, the path the Lord has told me to take.  I owe Jesus so much more than I could ever repay.  What I do is nothing compared to what he has done for me.  I thank God for the honor of serving him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home